The Deschooling Course.
Deschooling = unlearning the school mindset.
Are you interested in deschooling but unsure about how to proceed?
Or perhaps you are already unschooling and finding it rather challenging?
If you want to feel confident that you can handle the challenges, support your children’s learning and really enjoy your family’s unschooling journey……..then this course is for you.
Here’s why deschooling is important.
Many well-intentioned parents who love the idea of unschooling or relaxed homeschooling still get caught up in conflict with their children over learning. They end up stressed, yelling and nagging even though they don’t want to be like that at all. The struggle exhausts everyone and dampens the love of learning and the joy in family life.
The beliefs that we learned in childhood and during our own education unconsciously control our words and actions. They generate fear, self-doubt and the urge to try and control our children. Deschooling is an invitation to unlearn the school mindset.
This course will help you:
- Understand the school mindset and bring your beliefs about education into awareness.
- Transform your role as a home educator. No need for pushing, nagging or threatening.
- Trust your inner wisdom and follow a path that suits your child’s unique needs and learning style.
- Dissolve the struggle with your child by addressing the root cause. Learn how to question your thinking and reframe your problems.
- Learn how to document your child’s learning and meet the legal requirements for home education in Australia. (General introduction only).
- This course will give parents support and reassurance and new skills.
- Ask questions of an experienced unschooler.
- You will be supported to face your fears and find your own solutions to family problems.
This course provides a clear and achievable path to a relaxed, joyful unschooling life even with the most spirited and challenging children.
Here’s what people have said about The Deschooling Course:
“It’s given me a lot of confidence to stray from the curriculum when the need arises. It’s certainly helped me relax a little bit and go with the flow. In just the few weeks I’ve been doing this course I’ve noticed a little more child-directed learning and am nurturing that as we go along. It’s very exciting, almost like learning to walk again but differently.” – Fiona
“Thanks for a very informative course……. Keep doing what you are doing. Yours is a perspective that many of us as parents need to hear. Learning is a lifelong passion and parents only need to facilitate the opportunity for that passion to thrive in their children’s lives.” – Natasha
“It helped with my confidence to follow our own path with home education and to spend more time observing and to participate more with my son’s interests such as gaming and how to record learning outcomes this way.”- Sonya
Here’s what’s covered in this 3 week course
Week 1: What is deschooling and why do it?
* The benefits of deschooling
* The school mindset
* Identifying your fears
Week 2: Fitting unschooling into the legal framework in Australia (Introduction only)
* Observing your child’s learning and play
* Recording learning
* Ticking the boxes
* Having a plan and offering resources
Week 3: How to unlearn the school mindset.
* Identify your stressful thoughts
* How to question your thinking
* Learn the process of self-inquiry called The Work (Byron Katie) and find your deepest truth
This course will suit:
- Open-minded home educating parents who are willing to question their beliefs and look within for answers,
- Unschooling parents who would like to shift family life to a new level of joy, ease and harmony,
- Those who are struggling with their strong-willed, spirited or quirky child and would like to find peaceful solutions to help the learning flow,
- Those who are concerned about their own yelling, frustration, anxiety or general exhaustion and overwhelm,
- Designed for parents with children of any age. Deschooling is helpful for parents and children of any age.
ONLINE COURSE INCLUDES:
1. Video lessons for 3 weeks (4.5 hours total).
2. Links to articles, FB group and worksheets.
3. Practical exercises to raise your awareness, change your thinking and your reactions.
4. Samples of documentation provided for registration in NSW. Legal framework for registration in NSW and overview only of other States.
6. Lifetime access. Do the course at your own pace. This course does not have an expiry date.
My latest blog posts.
Unschooling is a type of home education that is based on following the interests of the child. Parents that support an unschooling approach do not force their child to learn according to the system of defined by the school curriculum. Children are free to learn how, when and what they choose with the support and…
The main topic that I’ve been thinking about for the last month is the effect of repressed childhood anger on relationships, especially with our children. Many people believe that they were traumatised by an angry parent and they worry about getting angry at their own children. I know many mothers who believe that they have…