Hi. I’m Freya Dawson
I’m passionate about conscious parenting, unschooling and spiritual awakening. I write, meditate, lose myself in nature, mentor, cook and care for my family.
I’ve discovered gifts in all the challenges that life has brought me, even though they were hard to see at the time. The greatest gift was a deeper knowing of my true self. I’ve found vast reserves of peace and joy within myself that I know are in all of us. Behind our stressful thoughts and limiting beliefs is a calm, vibrant Awareness that is full of wisdom and joy. I’ve helped others wake up to this truth.
I have experienced the transformation that this awakening can bring to daily life and family relationships and my passion is to share this with others. I love sharing practical, easy-to-follow practices and insights that make people’s lives less stressful and more enjoyable.
My life has changed so much since I had children that it almost seems like another lifetime altogether. During my 20’s and early 30’s, my life was focused on academic achievement, being a university lecturer and trying to save the environment.
I enjoyed teaching Uni students and loved doing research that pulled apart big ideas. I went on lots of outdoor adventures in Australia and overseas but my personal life was a mess. I had a series of relationships which left me confused, heartbroken and hating myself. I was needy and emotionally fragile and I believed that spiritual teachings had little relevance for me.
It seemed that everything was going to improve when I had by first child at 35, got married for the second time and then had another child four years later. But my life was turned inside-out by the intense challenges of raising two spirited children. I was completely unprepared for the angry outbursts, loneliness, and anxiety that welled up from within me in the early years of my children’s lives.
At the time I thought I was unraveling, but it was really a huge release of bottled up emotion. I wanted so desperately to be the best mother I could possibly be, and yet, I was struggling every day. Parenting brought sleep deprivation and overwhelm but it was balanced by the intense depth and connection I felt in these new relationships with my sons.
The intense emotional drama that engulfed me during those years turned out to be a wonderful gift. It was the gateway into a gradual spiritual awakening. I applied my skills in research to finding another way to live with these precious, delightful and demanding children. I also found a willingness to explore my own inner world.
I learned new ways to transform my emotional reactions into calm responses and to solve the inevitable problems that come up in family life. I began to unlearn almost everything I knew and believed and finally I found the space to just Be. I discovered my true self.
During the 21 years since my first child was born I have…
- Birthed my second child at home (with the help of an amazing midwife),
- Fallen head over heals in love with my two children and my new life,
- Felt myself unravel and crack up under the pressure of sleep deprivation and intense emotions,
- Been awarded a PhD in Environmental Law,
- Found and created supportive circles of amazing women,
- Dived into many spiritual teachings and discovered my own path,
- Questioned and dissolved many of my own stressful thoughts and limiting beliefs,
- Chosen to facilitate my children’s learning through unschooling,
- Become a Reiki Master,
- Shared my new skills with other parents through my Joyful Parenting Course,
- Spent time living in New Zealand and England and traveled in the US, Fiji and Australia,
- Played with Lego, watched countless superhero movies and had a lot of pillow fights,
- Guided and mentored many other parents in their journeys,
- Learned a lot about myself through the joys and challenges of marriage.